1. Spelling Bees are not a place to flex burgeoning acting desires. Spellmasters are not entertained by a first grader who lavishly calls out to the crowd of 200 in a dramatic Shakespearean voice, “What is my word?”
2. First graders who treat Spelling Bees like “stage shows” are quite displeased when disqualified from the bee for accidentally saying an errant letter before correctly spelling their word. They might cry, flail and break down as they are wrested from the stage by their mother. In front of 200 people.
3. I am not emotionally or physically capable of caring for three of my own children and a neighbor’s three children for 24 hours. Particularly after a day of Spelling Bee trauma.
3. Six children are capable of eating 10 eggs and an entire package of bread at one breakfast.
4. Some children are so sensitive to new medications that they may stay up for 28 hours straight the first day they take it. I have one of these children. And he did this last night.
5. I am incapable of functioning in any coherent way on four hours of sleep over a three-day period.
6. I hate Spelling Bees.
7. I know God tells us that He will not give us more than we can handle. I believe Him, but I’m pressed, I tell you, quite pressed.